Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Scott Brown, Independent

As I've mentioned before in this blog, we (on the Right) should not be too concerned that Scott Brown is willing to team up with Democrats from time to time, as in the financial regulation bill. We may disagree with specific votes - I expect that to happen, in fact. But if, as I also expect, the alternative is a traditional liberal from Massachusetts, then we are coming out ahead in the bargain.

Brown is going to have his hands full in 2012 when he comes up for re-election. If siding with Democrats on a few votes buys him enough independent cred to keep his seat, and if he sides with Republicans on enough key votes to help block the worst of the Democrat legislation, then we should be satisfied. I think I should retract my original, overly-exuberant statement that he's "my ideal politician", but I stand by my claim that he may be the best we can expect from the People's Republic of Massachusetts.

And it's always possible that, over time, he may be able to move to the Right as he secures his incumbency. Of course, there's also the danger that he'll succumb to pressure to move to the Left. But that happens to a lot of politicians (yes, John McCain, I'm looking at you).

Half a loaf is better than none.

No comments:

Post a Comment