Thursday, March 11, 2010

Guilty Pleasures

Every so often I'm in the mood for a peanut butter and banana sandwich. It's something I've liked since I was a kid. For me, simple works best: toasted whole wheat bread, peanut butter on both slices, and sliced banana in the middle. Some people put honey on this - not me. Nothing else is needed.

But lately I figured out a new twist: sauteed plantains. I've enjoyed a good plantain for a long time, but never tried to cook them myself until just a few weeks ago. It struck me: what would a peanut butter and plantain sandwich taste like. I can now tell you: truly decadent!

You can buy frozen ripe plantains (Goya brand, and probably other brands as well) for an easy way to try this out. But sauteeing your own plantains is the only way to get the full experience. Use butter and don't forget to sprinkle a little kosher salt over them after cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment