Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Trumped

Friend of mine asked my wife the other day: Is Mr. Athwart History still annoyed by Donald Trump? I haven't been posting too much recently, so allow me to reply to that question here.

No, he doesn't annoy me. Annoyance is an emotion I feel when swarmed by gnats while trying to enjoy a sunset. The word for my feelings about Trump is "detest". He is a detestable person, and wholly unsuitable to the Presidency. His entire life history is of screwing over the little guy, reneging on deals, cheating both in business and his personal life. It should go without saying that we don't want this man to be President. His supporters want someone who will fight as dirty as the Democrats do. Fine: he will, I have every confidence. But to what end? Only his own, I fear.

Between the time I started writing this post and now, Trump has won the Indiana primary and become the presumptive nominee. As a conservative and nominal Republican, that creates a problem for me. I will never vote for Trump. I cannot imagine voting for Hillary or Bernie (although if it proved necessary to stop Trump... I might). That leaves me with only two options: either skip the Presidential vote entirely, or vote third-party. Luckily I have six months to figure this out.

No comments:

Post a Comment